For other uses, see Oyster (disambiguation).
, Marennes-Oléron, opened
The name oyster is used for a number of blue oyster cult different groups of molluscs which grow for the most part in marine or brackish water. The shell, usually oysters highly calcified, surrounds a soft body. Gills filter blue oyster cult godzilla plankton from the water, and strong adductor muscles are used to hold oyster the shell closed. Some of these groups are highly prized as godzilla blue oyster cult food, both raw and cooked.
- 1 True oysters
- 1.1 Physical blue oyster cult dont fear the reaper characteristics
- 1.2 Oyster habitat and lifestyle
- 1.3 Culinary blue oyster cult don't fear the reaper oysters
- 1.4 History
- 2 Pearl rocky mountain oysters oysters
- 3 Dermo
- 4 Other oyster run molluscs named "oyster"
- 5 Other uses of don't fear the reaper blue oyster cult the word oyster
- 6 See also
- 7 External links
- 8 References
The "true oysters" are the members oysters rockefeller of the family Ostreidae, and this includes the edible oysters, which mainly blue oyster cult lyrics belong to the genera Ostrea, Crassostrea, Ostreola or paul's seafood and oyster boat Saccostrea. Examples are the Edible Oyster, Ostrea edulis, Eastern Oyster Crassostrea virginica, Olympia rolex oyster perpetual Oyster Ostreola conchaphila, Pacific Oyster Crassostrea gigas, Sydney rock oyster Saccostrea glomerata, and blue oyster the Wellfleet oyster (a variety of C. virginica).
- Oysters are sydney rock oysters filter-feeders that draw water in over their gills through the beating of cilia. Suspended food blue oyster cult - don't fear the reaper plankton and particles are trapped in the mucus of the gills and transported to the oyster card mouth, where they will be eaten, digested and expelled oyster reaper as feces or pseudofeces. Feeding snl blue oyster cult activity is greatest in oysters when water temperatures are above 50°F (~10°C). Healthy oysters consume algae and other water-borne nutrients, each one filtering buy or sell pacific oysters online up to five litres of water per hour. Scientists believe that the blue oyster cult - godzilla Chesapeake Bay's once-flourishing blue oyster cult burnin for you oyster populations historically filtered the estuary's entire water volume of excess nutrients every three or four days. fresh oysters Today that process would take almost a year, and sediment, nutrients, and algae oyster festival can cause problems oyster recipes in local waters. Oysters filter these pollutants, and either eat them or shape them into small packets that oyster shell are deposited on the bottom where they are harmless.
- Oysters breathe much like fish, dont fear the reaper blue oyster cult using both gills and mantle. oyster creek inn The mantle is lined with many small, thin-walled blood vessels which extract oxygen from the water and expel carbon dioxide. A small, three-chambered buy or sell olympic oysters online heart, lying under the abductor muscle, pumps oyster mushrooms colorless blood, with its supply of oxygen, to all parts of the body. At blue oyster cult reaper the same time a pair of kidneys located on buy or sell chesapeake bay oysters online the underside of the muscle purify the blood of any waste products it has collected.
- There is no way of buy oyster online determining male oysters from females by examining norwalk oyster festival their shells. While oysters have separate oyster bay sexes, they may change sex one or more times during their life span. The gonads, organs responsible for producing oyster stew recipe both eggs and sperm, surround the digestive organs and are made up of sex cells, rolex oyster branching tubules and connective tissue.
Oyster habitat and lifestyle
As a keystone species, oysters provide habitat for blue oyster cult burning for you an extensive array of marine life. The native oyster usually inhabits water depths buy smoked oysters online of between 8 and 25 feet. The hard surfaces of oyster shells and the nooks between the shells provide king oyster mushroom places where a host of small animals can live. Hundreds of animals seafood and oyster boat such as anemones, barnacles, and hooked buy or sell pacific in-shell oysters online mussels use oyster reefs as habitat. Many of these prairie oyster animals serve as food for larger animals, including striped bass, black drum and croakers. oyster shucker An oyster reef, with its many convolutions, can encompass 50 times the surface area of an equally extensive beef and broccoli with oyster sauce recipe flat bottom. The oyster contributes to improved water quality through its filter blue oyster cult fear the reaper feeding capacity. An oyster's breaded frozen oysters for sale mature shape often depends on the type of bottom to which it originally attached. It oyster restaurants orients itself with its outer, flared variegated oyster plant shell tilted upward. One valve is cupped and the other is flat. The submerged blue oyster cult astronomy shell opens periodically to permit the oyster to feed.
Oysters usually mature by one year of age. oyster yachts They are protandric, which means that during their first spiny oyster year they spawn as males (releasing sperm into the water). As they grow larger over the next two or three swan oyster depot years and develop greater tudor oyster prince energy reserves, they release eggs, as females. Bay oysters are usually prepared to antique oyster plates spawn by the end of June. An increase in water temperature prompts buy fresh oyster mushrooms online a few initial oysters to spawn. This triggers a spawning 'chain reaction', which clouds the water with millions of godzilla - blue oyster cult eggs and sperm. A single female oyster plate oyster can produce up to 100 million eggs annually. burning for you blue oyster cult The eggs become fertilized in the water and develop into larvae, which eventually find chinese oyster sauce beef jerky suitable sites on which to settle, such as another impudent oyster oyster's shell. Attached oyster larvae are called 'spat'. Spat are oysters 25 mm or less in length.
Raw oysters presented on oyster mushroom a plate
Oysters can be eaten raw, smoked, boiled, baked, fried, roasted, stewed, canned, oyster recipe pickled, steamed, broiled (grilled) or used in a variety of drinks. Preparation can blue oyster cult- burnin for you be as simple as opening the shell, while cooking can be as spare as adding godzilla blue oyster butter and/or salt, or can be oyster bar very elaborate. Perhaps the definitive work on oyster cans oysters as food is Consider the Oyster, by M. F. K. Fisher.
Oysters are low in chinese oyster sauce sherry beef jerky food energy; one dozen raw oysters contain approximately 110 calories (0.460 kJ), and are rich in zinc, iron, calcium, and oyster facts oyster plant vitamin A.
Unlike most shellfish, oysters can have a fairly long shelf-life: up to around two mountain oysters weeks; however, they should be consumed when fresh, as their taste reflects their age. oyster pearl Precautions should be taken when consuming them (see below). Purists rocky mountain oyster eating contest insist on eating oysters raw, with no dressing save perhaps lemon juice, vinegar, or cocktail sauce. Raw oyster plates oysters are regarded like wines in that they oyster sauce have complex flavors that vary greatly among varieties and regions: pearl oyster some taste sweet, others salty or with a mineral flavor, or even like melon. The texture is soft and fleshy, but crisp rocky mountain oyster to the tooth. This is often influenced by the water that schaller oyster chrome they are grown uncle bubbas oyster house in with variations in salinity, minerals, and nutrients.
A strikingly greenish and, some would say, unappetizing oyster.
Oysters are generally an blue oyster cult snl expensive food in places where they aren't harvested, and often they are eaten only fried oysters on special occasions, such as Christmas. 42nd street oyster bar and seafood Whether oysters are predominantly eaten raw or cooked is a matter of personal preference. In the United States today, oysters blue oyster cult godzilla download audio are most often cooked before consumption, but there is also a high demand for london oyster pass raw oysters on the half-shell (shooters) oyster rockefeller recipe typically served at oyster bars. Canned smoked oysters are also widely available as preserves rolex oyster perpetual datejust with a long shelf life. Raw oysters were once spiney oyster a staple food along the East Coast of the US and are still easily found the blue oyster cult in states bordering the ocean. Oysters are nearly always eaten raw in France.
Special knives for days inn airport oyster point south san francisco opening live oysters, such as this one, have short oyster anatomy and stout blades and the best have a downward curve at the tip.
Fresh oysters oyster cards must be alive just before consumption. There is a simple criterion: oysters must be tightly closed; oysters that are already open oyster creek inn leeds point nj are dead and must be discarded. To confirm if an oyster festival virginia open oyster is dead, oyster shells tap the shell. A live oyster will close and is safe to eat, a dead oyster recipes for oysters can also be closed however it will make a distinct noise when tapped and are called "clackers." rocky mountain oyster festival Opening oysters requires skill, for live oysters, outside rolex oyster band of the water, shut themselves tightly with a powerful muscle astronomy blue oyster cult sealing their fluids. The generally used method for opening oysters is to use a special knife (called an oyster blue oyster cult photo archive knife, a variant of a shucking knife), with a short and godzilla/blue oyster cult thick blade about 2 inches long, inserting the blade (with some moderate man's rolex oyster perpetual datejust watch force and vibration mid oyster rolex size if necessary) at the hinge in the rear of the shell, and sliding it upward to cut mortgage in oyster bay ny new york the adductor muscle (which holds the shell oyster bay and tackle closed). Inexperienced shuckers tend to apply excessive force, which may result in injuries if oyster culture they slip. Always use a heavy glove; if you don't cut yourself with the oysters rockafeller knife you can just as easily cut raw oysters yourself on the oyster shell itself which can be razor sharp. There is also a second way in, rocky mountain oysters recipe referred to as the "sidedoor", which is about halfway along one side where rolex oyster watch the lips of the oyster widen so there is a rolex submariner oyster slight indentation where a knife may union oyster house successfully be inserted. This is generally a better way to open an oyster when it is a "crumbler" (i.e. one acme oyster house with a particularly soft shell biology of oysters either due to drills or the amount of calcium in the water). Either way, however, is tricky when an oyster's shell is blue oyster cult burnin' for you in blue oyster cult, burning for you such a condition.
An alternative to opening raw oysters before consumption is to cook them in the shell – the blue oyster cult-godzilla heat kills the oysters and they burnin' for you blue oyster cult open by themselves. Cooked oysters are savory and slightly sweet-tasting, and the varieties are mostly equivalent.
A piece of choose your own pearl and oyster folk wisdom concerning oysters is that they are best to eat crushed oyster shell in months containing the letter r. This is because oysters spawn history of new jersey oyster industry in the warmer months, from roughly May to August in the Northern Hemisphere, and their mountain oyster club flavor when eaten raw can be somewhat watery and bland during spawning season; olde cape cod oyster crackers additionally their meats are much reduced in size. oyster clip art Oysters from the Gulf of Mexico spawn throughout the year, but are delicious oyster fest cooked or raw.
To avoid spawning, sterile oysters are now cultured by crossbreeding tetraploid and diploid oysters. Because oyster festivals the resulting triploid oyster cannot propagate, the oyster spawning season does not oyster knife occur.
Oysters are sometimes cited oysters corn flakes as an aphrodisiac.It is disputed whether this is true. If there recipe of appetizers rockefeller oyster is such an effect, it may be due to the the melancholy death of oyster boy soft, moist texture and appearance of the oyster; it may also be blue oyster cult- fear the reaper due to their high zinc content. Another joking theory states, "If you blue oyster cult-don't fear the reaper can get a woman to eat a raw oyster, you datejust oyster perpetual rolex watch can get her to do anything!" referring to their visual nature, unappealing for some people.
Within the make oysters rockefeller United Kingdom, the town of Whitstable in the county of Kent is particularly noted for oyster diving oyster farming from beds on the oyster shucking knife Kentish Flats that have been used since Roman times. The borough of Colchester (formerly the capital of Roman Britain) rolex datejust oyster holds an annual Oyser rolex oyster quartz Feast in October of each year, at which the "Colchester Natives" (the native oyster, 'rocky mountain oyster feed' Ostrea Edulis) are consumed. Similarly the seaside resort of Cancale in France about salutes oysters is noted for its oysters which anna maria oyster bar also date from Roman times.
In the early nineteenth century, oysters were very cheap and were mainly eaten by the working classes. However, increasing demands art teacher of oyster river homepage from the rapidly-growing cities led to blue oyster bar many of the beds running short. To increase production, foreign varieties were introduced and blue oyster cult discography this soon brought disease blue oyster cult, godzilla which, combined with pollution, resulted in oysters becoming rare. This scarcity increased prices leading to their current blue oyster godzilla status as a delicacy.
In the United Kingdom, the native variety is still held to be the blue oyster godzilla song finest, taking five years to mature and protected by an Act blue oyster reaper of Parliament during the May-August spawning season. The current market breaded oysters for sale is dominated by the larger Pacific oyster and rock bull oyster roast oyster varieties which are farmed all year round.
Pearls being removed from oysters
All oysters (and, indeed, many other shelled mollusks) can secrete pearls, but don't fear the reaper - blue oyster cult those from edible oysters have no market value. The Pearl Oysters hush puppies converge oyster come from a different family, the Pteriidae (Feathered Oysters). Both cultivated jaguar xjr 18 1d oyster bbs 5 spoke wheel rim pearls and natural pearls are obtained norwalk ct oyster festival from these oysters, though some other mollusks, for example freshwater mussels, also yield oyster band pearls of commercial value. The largest pearl-bearing oyster type is the Pinctada maxima, which is roughly oyster boats the size of a dinner plate. oyster dressing Not all oysters produce pearls. In fact, in a haul of three tons of oysters, only around three or four oyster farm oysters produce perfect oyster point hotel pearls.
These oysters produce pearls by covering an invading piece of grit with nacre (or as most know oyster shell+soil amendment it, mother-of-pearl). Over the years, the grit oyster stew soup is covered with enough nacre to form what we know as a pearl. There are many oyster stuffing different types and colours and shapes of pearl, but this depends on the pigment of the oysters casino nacre and the shape of the piece of grit being covered recipe for beef with oyster sauce over.
Pearls can also be cultivated by pearl farmers rolex oyster bands placing a single piece of grit, usually a piece rolex oyster perpetual date - vintage 1950's of polished mussel shell, inside the oyster. In three to six years, the oyster will produce a perfect rolex oyster royal pearl. These pearls are not as valuable as natural pearls, but look exactly the seahorse oyster bar and grill florida same.
"Dermo" (Perkinsus marinus) is marine disease of oysters, water street oyster bar caused by a protozoan parasite. It wellfleet oyster festival is a prevalent pathogen of oysters, causing massive mortality in oyster populations and poses a significant economic threat to the atlantic oyster oyster industry.
Other molluscs named "oyster"
A number of other australian oysters molluscs not falling into either of these groups have common names that blue oyster cult - burnin' for you include the word "oyster", usually because they either taste or blue oyster cult dont fear look like oysters, or because they yield noticeable pearls. Examples include:
- the family Spondylidae, the broadway oyster bar Thorny Oysters;
- the Pilgrim oyster, a don't fear the reaper oyster kind of scallop.
- the Saddle oyster (Anomia ephippium)
Other uses of the word eating oysters while pregnant oyster
- The Rocky Mountain oyster is not a mollusc but the testicles of a bull. fire of unknown origin blue oyster cult It is also known as the Prairie oyster.
- There are several plants whose common name is growing oyster mushrooms on newspaper "Oyster plant", for example the Purple Salsify.
- The Oyster Mushroom is haunted oyster bar galveston a variety of mushroom available in most grocery stores in America. It limoges oyster plate is so named due to its shape and appearance.
- Oyster card - a form ludwig oyster of electronic ticketing designed for use on Transport for London milford oyster festival and National Rail services within the Greater London area of the oyster bay beach resort United Kingdom.
- Oyster sauce
- Oyster Festival
Wikimedia Commons has media related to:
Wikibooks Cookbook has a recipe for
- ^ Nell J. A. (2002). "Farming triploid oysters". Aquaculture 210: 69-88. DOI:10.1016/S0044-8486(01)00861-4.
- ^ Stott, Rebecca (2004). Oyster. The University of Chicage Press. Retrieved on 2006-08-11.
Categories: Bivalves | Edible molluscs